After sewing together the little quilt for the down under doll quilt swap on Wednesday and Thursday night I discussed the quilting with a long arm quilter that I work with – convenient huh !
I didn’t want the quilting to overtake the stars and I’m really not that confident to do machine quilting for someone else just yet – Cathy agreed that too much quilting would be overwhelming so I decided to just outline hand quilt in the star squares.
I used matching perle thread for the orange and pink stars and some gorgeous varigated thread for the blue and green stars - its only a small quilt and didn’t need much quilting and this way the stars are the feature - I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
If I had more of the small orange spot fabric I would have used that as the binding rather than the big spots but hopefully my partner will love the big spots !
I made little hanging pockets from the binding but of course forgot to take a photo of them - I really like the idea of making these from leftover binding – very quick and easy and an instant hanger especially if you have heaps of thin dowel hanging around like I do !
As little extras I made a key fob and 4 magnets – my partner loves orange so hopefully she will love those magnets – I think I’m a bit addicted to making them :)
the deadline for posting was today so its now on its way to its partner - as this was an aussie swap hopefully she will receive it by the end of the week :)